It was a historic night for Drake after he took home a record 13 wins at the 2017 Billboard Music Awards, beating Adele’s 2012 record of 12 wins.
The Canadian rapper, who entered the awards with a crazy 22 nominations, won top artist, top male artist and top Billboard 200 album (Views), among others, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Adele set a record at the show in 2012 with 12 wins.
“I got my whole family up here,” said Drake, who stood onstage with nearly two dozen people, including his father, Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj.
Drake was presented with the top artist award by Prince Jackson, the late Michael Jackson’s eldest son. Drake beat out Beyonce, Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Adele, Ariana Grande twenty one pilots, Shawn Mendes and the Chainsmokers for the top prize. Of those nominees, only Drake and the Chainsmokers attended the Billboard Awards.
Also included in that list is The Weeknd, who was unable to convert any of his 13 nominations into a win. He had been nominated for the following awards:
- Top Artist
- Billboard Chart Achievement Award Presented by Xfinity
- Top Male Artist
- Top Billboard 200 Artist (x2)
- Top R&B Artist
- Top Billboard 200 Album [for Starboy]
- Top R&B Album [for Starboy]
- Top Streaming Song (Audio) [for “Starboy” feat. Daft Punk]
- Top Collaboration [for “Starboy” feat. Daft Punk]
- Top R&B Song [for “Starboy” feat. Daft Punk]
- Top R&B Collaboration [for “Starboy” feat. Daft Punk]
- Top R&B Collaboration [for “I Feel It Coming” feat. Daft Punk]
Alas, he was unsuccessful this year after Drake cleaned up the majority of the awards he was nominated for, with Drake also in the running for many of the same awards.
It’s a stark difference in comparison to the 2016 BBMAs when The Weeknd took home 8 awards for his work surrounding his 2015 album Beauty Behind the Madness.
There’s always next year!